As is the nature of these things, we found out that all the services needed to be switched over by 1st January 2018 !
FastHosts and JISC did a sterling job in getting a new .GOV domain applied for and registered in 3 days whilst we took full backups of the current website and the existing email folders. There was a slight issue with getting the existing domain released and transferred, however this was finally completed and a final email backup taken just as the Ludgershall Council office closed on the 22nd December.
Hightrees Organisation imported the 5Gb’s worth of email over the next couple of days into our Hosted Exchange mailboxes and started work on the new website.
The website needed to replicate the content that was previously available and provide a simple and easy to use interface so that the Town Clerk could easily update the website with both Ludgershall Town Council information and news and events for the local Ludgershall community. This was something that was an issue with the previous site.
We spent a couple of hours with the Town Clerk, checking the information that we had taken from the previous website and initial training on the use of the website.
Over the coming months, work will be undertaken to :
- Update the website with some of the older Council documents to comply with the Local government transparency code 2015
- Introduce new community and Town Council information.
- Introduce an electronic newsletter
- Enable personal email addresses for each of the Ludgershall Town Councillors
- Work on GDPR and Data Protection policies and Procedures
- Retire the old website and emails on the previous domain.
- Review the Council’s IT equipment and software.
The new website can be found at https://www.ludgershall-tc.gov.uk