Solved it – RPC:S-7:AEC-0 Google Play error


I’ve had an irritating problem with one of my Google Accounts (using a Google Free Apps with a personal domain associated with it) on a Samsung S5 where any interaction with the Google Play Store would result in a really helpful error “

“Error while retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-7:AEC-0]”

Trying to use the Play Store in a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, IE etc) would result in an equally helpful message “An unexpected error has occurred”

I never had this problem on my previous phone (an S3) and had no problems when I upgraded – it just stopped working !

A web search shows that lots of people are getting this error (There is a nice article here on Android Police) and there is a wide variety of “solutions” that appear to work for some people but not others, me included.

I’ve been in email contact with Google Support and the advice to date has been :

This issue can sometimes be resolved by clearing the cache and data of both the Google Play Store app and the Download Manager.

Here's how:
1. On your phone/tablet, open Settings.
2. Scroll down to Device and touch Apps.
3. Swipe left to see the All tab.
4. Scroll down and touch "Google Play Store" or "Download Manager."
5. Touch "Clear data," then touch "OK."
6. Touch "Clear cache."

You'll need to complete these steps separately for each application giving the error notification "Error while retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-7:AEC-0]". 
Also note that after clearing the Google Play Store app data, if you've changed your password protection or content filter settings from the defaults, you'll need to reapply
these settings.

This didn’t work for me, nor did any of the other “solutions” we tried.

After doing some further investigation of problems relating to payment issues on another account (not Google Apps),  it led me to delve into the payment options on the account – which seemed to have disappeared !

Logging into the Admin Console section of my Google Apps account showed that Wallet was not on the list of usable applications, so after some trawling around (to save you time, it is under the More Controls screen, hiding at the bottom of the screen, and then choose More Google Apps), I managed to get Google Wallet enabled for my account.

I then did the following :

  • Deleted the Google account from the mobile phone,
  • Cleared  all cache and data for Google Play Store, Google Play Services, Google Services Framework
  • Turned off the phone
  • Logged in via PC to the Play Store and voila, a working account where I was prompted to add payment methods !
  • Restarted the phone
  • Added the Google account back to the phone and left it to sync

 

This may work for you, it may not, it does seem to be a lucky dip on why you get the problem and the solution you need to solve it.

(Normal disclaimer, YYMV and we assume no responsibility if you break your device/account by using any of the information here!)